The purpose of the Architectural Experience Program (AXP) is to train and develop competent architects who are prepared to practice architecture independently upon registration. NCARB established the AXP to provide a diversified exposure of the architectural practice to licensure candidates. The AXP is a structured work experience that, within an architectural office, is the most recognized way for a licensure candidate to gain experience prior to architectural registration.
In order for a licensure candidate to obtain the most from this development period, exposure to a wide range of experience within an office setting is necessary. Direct supervision of a licensure candidate is the primary and most effective method to guide an intern’s professional development.
To abide by the rules of direct supervision, you must:
- Supervise your licensure candidate on a daily basis.
- Provide reasonable opportunities for your licensure candidate to gain experience in each AXP experience area.
- Regularly assesses the quality of your licensure candidate’s work.
- Periodically certify your licensure candidate's experience reports.
As 1 July 2010, all licensure candidates need to submit their experience in reporting periods of no longer than six months and within two months of completion of each reporting period. Make sure your licensure candidates are aware of this rule and when it applies to them. [more]
Benefits of Supervising a Licensure Candidate
Supervising a licensure candidate has several benefits for you personally and your firm as a whole.
- Improves your communication, management, and leadership skills.
- Allows you to articulate how the profession protects the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
- Provides an opportunity for you to learn from your licensure candidate.
- Builds trust and commitment.
- Produces success. What a licensure candidate learn from you now will establish your success later as a team.
- Establishes an environment of information sharing within your firm.
- Assists in staff retention.
- Develops leaders that will drive the future of your practice and the profession.
For more information on the benefits of supervising licensure candidates and participating in the AXP, see the AXP Guidelines.
The Online Reporting System: Instructions for Supervisors
Learn how to review and approve your licensure candidate’s experience reports through NCARB's online reporting system. [more]
Click here to log into the online reporting system as a supervisor.