December 19, 2016
The newest version of the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®), ARE 5.0, launched on November 1. In case you missed it, here are a few basics about the updated exam:
- ARE 5.0 features six new divisions organized around current architectural practice.
- We’ve also updated the testing technology—which means smoother testing and no more vignettes.
- Candidates will see two new item types on the exam: hot spot and drag-and-place, along with case studies.
Preparing Candidates for ARE 5.0
Ready to help your candidates transition to the new exam? Here are a few ways you can guide early testers:
- NCARB is offering $100 Visa gift cards for candidates who test early on each ARE 5.0 division. This benefit is guaranteed for anyone testing by January 31, 2017. Encourage your candidates to test early and take advantage of this incentive!
- If your candidates have had trouble using or learning the ARE 4.0 vignette software, transitioning to ARE 5.0 will enable them to focus on the content being tested, not how it’s tested.
ARE 5.0 Resources
NCARB has created a number of study tools and resources to help candidates prepare for ARE 5.0, including:
- ARE 5.0 Video Prep Series—These videos explain each division, walk through sample questions, and explore the new exam format.
- ARE 5.0 Demonstration Exam—Available for free in My NCARB, the Demo Exam lets candidates explore the exam interface and practice using the new item types.
- ARE 5.0 Community—Candidates can get help from NCARB experts, share testing tips, and find local study groups on the new community.
- ARE 5.0 Handbook—This document includes a breakdown of each division, sample questions, helpful formulas, common abbreviations, and more.
- ARE 5.0 Guidelines—The guidelines provide details on scheduling appointment times, what to expect at the test center, receiving your score, and more.