Benefit From the Flexible, Accessible ARE®
- You have the freedom to take the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) in any order, at any time.
- And you can take it virtually anywhere—with hundreds of test centers to choose from throughout the United States, its territories, Canada, London, Hong Kong, and even Abu Dhabi, the exam has never been more accessible.
- Extensions are also available for the birth or adoption of a child, a serious medical condition, or active military service.
- Thanks to the new ARE retake policy, you can retake a failed division in just 60 days, up to three times in a running year.
- With the My Examination portal, you can easily schedule appointments, access your exam history, review your score reports, and more—all in one place.
Take the ARE While Completing Your Internship
- You can take the exam while completing the Intern Development Program (IDP) in 49 jurisdictions. Find out if your jurisdiction allows concurrent testing.
Begin IDP After High School and Earn Credit During Breaks
- You can earn IDP experience regardless of your employment duration, even for short periods during a school break. To earn full credit for your work, be sure to report any experience within eight months.
- With the new reporting requirement, you can earn 50 percent credit for experience beyond eight months and up to five years!
Use the IDP Mobile App
- Log your internship hours on-the-go with our free mobile app, which is available for iPhone and Android.
Earn Supplemental Experience
- Supplemental experience (S) is a great way to earn IDP credit outside of the office. Participating in a design competition, volunteering for a charitable organization, and visiting a construction site all count toward credit.
- You can even earn 16 core hours in business operations by reading our free Professional Conduct Monograph and passing a quiz. Learn more about earning core hours and elective hours.
- In between jobs? By completing activities in the Emerging Professional's Companion (EPC), you can earn up to 600 core hours of IDP credit. The online resource is filled with activities on everything from schematic design to construction administration. Download your free copy here.