Jersey City, NJ—Representatives of U.S. architectural licensing boards met in their geographic regions as participants in the annual Regional Summit held March 10-11, 2017, in Jersey City, NJ.
Hosted by the Mid-Atlantic Conference (Region 2), the summit facilitated discussion on many issues facing licensing boards, including: the role of Model Law, the impact the current political climate may have on regulation, enforcement and implementation challenges at the state level, and the value of licensure.
Delegates discussed regional business, debated jurisdictional roles related to professional credentials, and provided the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) with feedback on a proposed resolution addressing options for disciplining financially delinquent Member Boards, which may be voted on at NCARB’s Annual Business Meeting in June.
Delegates also participated in Q&A presentations on two high-profile architectural projects proximate to Jersey City: the development of National September 11 Memorial Museum and Jersey City’s redevelopment and resiliency improvements following Hurricane Sandy.
Individually, regions met to hear from candidates running for NCARB office and nominate regional directors to serve on the FY18 NCARB Board of Directors.
NCARB Officer Elections
Six candidates are running for office on the NCARB Board of Directors. Elections will be held at the June NCARB Annual Business Meeting in Boston, MA. Each registration board has one vote. The candidates are:
- First Vice President/President-elect: David L. Hoffman, FAIA, NCARB (Kansas State Board of Technical Professions)
- Second Vice President: Terry L. Allers, AIA, NCARB (Iowa Architectural Examining Board)
- Treasurer: Robert M. Calvani, AIA, NCARB (New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects)
- Secretary: Susan B. McClymonds, AIA, CSI, CCS, SCIP (New York State Board for Architecture) and Alfred Vidaurri Jr., FAIA, NCARB, AICP (Texas Board of Architectural Examiners)
- Member Board Executive Director: Maria Brown (Executive Director, Oregon State Board of Architect Examiners)
- Public Member: Darryl R. Hamm (Pennsylvania Architects Licensure Board)
The following Member Board Members were nominated as regional directors, slated for confirmation by the NCARB membership in June:
- Region 1: Carol W. Briggs, Esq. (Connecticut Architectural Licensing Board)
- Region 2: Paul D. Edmeades, AIA, NCARB (Maryland Board of Architects)
- Region 3: John E. Cardone Jr. (Louisiana State Board of Architectural Examiners)
- Region 4: Stephen L. Sharp, AIA, NCARB (Ohio Architects Board)
- Region 5: Bayliss Ward, AIA, NCARB (Montana Board of Architects)
- Region 6: Jim Oschwald, NCARB, AIA, LEED AP BD+C (New Mexico Board of Examiners for Architects)
Member Board Executive (MBE) Workshop
Prior to the Regional Summit, Member Board Executives from over 40 licensing boards met at their annual MBE Workshop. Attendees discussed and analyzed opportunities and challenges presented to their licensure boards and had the opportunity to share case studies and best practices. In addition, the group nominated Maria Brown of the Oregon Board of Architect Examiners to serve as the MBE director on the FY18 NCARB Board of Directors. The election of the MBE director occurs at the NCARB Annual Business Meeting in June.