The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on licensure candidates’ ability to complete the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®). Some candidates may be experiencing setbacks when trying to reschedule appointments for an uncertain future, and others may be having difficulty finding available appointments due to new regulations. We understand how frustrating and inconvenient these circumstances are.
To protect your safety and prepare for possible next steps, NCARB has been closely monitoring the pandemic, adjusting our testing policies, and sharing all updates with you as we receive them. We understand that we have shared a lot of updates recently, and the information changes quickly. Here is everything you need to know about the current status of the ARE.
Prometric Test Centers
- As of today, all test centers in North America are closed until May 31, 2020. Prometric will continue to monitor the Coronavirus outbreak to determine when to begin reopening test centers. Test centers will reopen in compliance with local guidelines and restrictions.
- Once reopened, test centers will operate at 50 percent capacity to maintain social distancing for those who are testing.
- Prometric has determined that some already scheduled June appointments must be rescheduled. All impacted candidates have been notified by NCARB on the need to reschedule their June appointment.
- At this time, no ARE appointments scheduled in July or later have been selected by Prometric to be rescheduled.
- Prometric is working on expanding test center hours across their network to open more appointment times for candidates. Candidates wanting to test in July should continue to check for available appointment times as they will become available intermittently.
- Prometric's Test Center Closures List provides an up-to-date list of all locations closed past May 1, 2020.
- Prometric has canceled all May appointments in North America.
- If your May appointment was canceled, you will be able to reschedule by Friday, May 1, 2020.
- If you received an email indicating your June appointment must be rescheduled due to social distancing restrictions, you will be able to reschedule that appointment anytime before May 10, 2020, after which it will be canceled.
- If your appointment is canceled, your eligibility for the scheduled division will be reset, and NCARB will apply a seat credit to your account allowing you to reschedule this or any other future division at no cost.
- Scheduled appointments in July and August may be impacted if Prometric extends social distancing measures. We will be contacting you should you need to reschedule your exam.
- Please note: You will NOT be able to reschedule an exam appointment until your eligibilities have been reset by NCARB. Purchasing an additional seat credit will NOT allow you to reschedule a canceled appointment sooner.
- We recommended you reschedule any appointments for fall or early winter to avoid further disruption.
- All rescheduling fees have been waived until further notice.
Rolling Clock Extensions
- Combined extensions totaling nine (9) months have been applied to all division scores that were valid as of March 1, 2020, to ensure no exam scores will be impacted by current test center closures and reopening delays.
- All extensions have been be granted, so you do NOT need to take any additional action to receive the extension.
- NCARB will continue monitoring the pandemic and its impact on testing availability, and may apply additional extensions if necessary in the future.
- Make sure your contact information in your NCARB Record is up to date and that you’ve opted in and subscribed to our ARE Update emails. If you’ve opted out of our NCARB communications, you may not receive important updates related to your testing appointments.
- Check our most recent live webinar and follow up Q&As (Part I and Part II) to learn more about the COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on the ARE and next steps.
- Stay up-to-date with our most recent COVID-19 updates by following us on Twitter, Instagram, and/or Facebook.
- Still have questions? Contact our Customer Relations team to get helped as soon as possible.