What is NCARB’s Continuum Education Program?

NCARB’s Continuum Education Program is a collection of self-study resources by experts in the profession. By reading our courses and taking an online quiz, you can earn continuing education hours in HSW from the comfort of your home. Continuum Education courses are always free for NCARB Certificate holders and licensure candidates with an active NCARB Record.

What is NCARB’s Analysis of Practice?

The Analysis of Practice is a study that provides insight into the current and near-future practice of architecture. The findings identify the areas of practice that are essential for licensure, which NCARB uses to guide the development of the Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®) and the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®), among other requirements. Learn more.

What is NCARB?

NCARB is a nonprofit organization that is comprised of and collaborates with the architectural licensing boards of the 55 U.S. states and territories. We develop and administer the national programs for licensure candidates and architects that individual boards use to regulate architecture within their jurisdiction.

What is NCARB doing to improve diversity within the organization?

NCARB is working with local AIA and NOMA chapters to encourage people of color to serve on state licensing boards, as well as on our various committees (which allow for greater networking with the licensing board community). Explore current open positions on licensing boards.

What is my role as an AXP supervisor?

AXP supervisors manage their candidates on a daily basis and are ultimately responsible for their work. You should provide work assignments that give your employee the opportunity to complete the AXP and provide feedback to guide their professional development. You will also review, verify, and approve your employee’s experience reports. Learn more about your role.

What is IPAL?

The Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL) is an option within a NAAB-accredited program that gives students the opportunity to complete the requirements for licensure while earning a degree. Learn more about IPAL.

What is health, safety, and welfare (HSW) when it comes to continuing education?

Many U.S. licensing boards, as well as the AIA, require architects to earn continuing education hours (CEH) in topic areas of Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW) every year. Most NCARB CE courses meet HSW requirements. Find out if your board requires CEH in HSW through our Licensing Requirements Tool.

What is experience setting O?

Setting O includes experience opportunities that can be performed outside an architecture firm. Some of these opportunities allow you to gain AXP experience while unemployed or working in a non-architecture field. There is no minimum number of hours required for opportunities in this setting, although each has a maximum limit.

What is an EESA evaluation? Do I need one?

Administered by the NAAB, the Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA) compares your academic transcript to the NCARB Education Standard and determines whether your education meets the requirement for licensure or NCARB certification. You may need an EESA evaluation if you do not hold a degree from a NAAB-accredited program. Learn more about EESA evaluations.

What is an academic internship?

Any work experience that is integrated into your academic program, whether as a requirement or an elective, is considered an academic internship. You can report work experience earned in academic internships as long as it meets the AXP’s rules, including the employment requirements.