I am interested in...


What is the Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL)?

The Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL) is an option within a NAAB-accredited program that gives students the opportunity to complete the requirements for licensure while earning a degree.  Learn more about IPAL.

What is an EESA evaluation? Do I need one?

Administered by the NAAB, the Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA) compares your academic transcript to the  NCARB Education Standard  and determines whether your education meets the requirement for licensure or NCARB certification.

You may need an EESA evaluation if you are a candidate for licensure or NCARB certification without a degree from a NAAB-accredited program. Learn more about  EESA evaluations.

What if I have a degree from a foreign country?

If you received an education outside of the United States or Canada and are not licensed to practice architecture in that country, you may need an  EESA evaluation.

If you received an education outside of the United States or Canada and are licensed to practice architecture in a country outside of the United States or Canada, please complete the  credential verification form. Then follow the remaining steps for the  foreign architect path to certification. Applicants for this path do NOT need an EESA.

How do I find an IPAL-accepted program?

Please browse our list of  current IPAL programs.

Do I need an NCARB Record while I’m in school?

You should  establish your NCARB Record once you start earning experience that qualifies for the AXP—which you can do any time after graduating high school.

Why should I participate in an IPAL program?

IPAL-accepted programs provide the opportunity to earn your license in less time by incorporating experience and examination into your education.

What is a NAAB-accredited program?

The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) evaluates and accredits architecture programs in the United States. A NAAB-accredited program offers a professional degree in architecture that meets the education requirement for licensure in all 55 U.S. jurisdictions.

How do I know if my degree is from an architecture program that is NAAB-accredited?

You can browse all current NAAB-accredited programs through the  NAAB’s school search tool.

How do I add my education to my NCARB Record?

To add education to your NCARB Record, select “Education” and then “Add University.”

In order to fulfill your jurisdiction’s education requirement, NCARB must verify your education history. You will need to request that your school send an official transcript directly to NCARB using either your school’s electronic transcript request system (use transcripts@ncarb.org as the recipient email address) or our  transcript request form.

Note: if you use your school’s transcript request system, be sure to include your NCARB Record number in the notes section.