To take an ARE 5.0 division, you’ll need to schedule an appointment at a Prometric test center. The ARE is administered at Prometric test centers to ensure each candidate receives the same examination experience and meets standard security requirements.
How to Schedule an Appointment
You can schedule an appointment by following these simple steps:
- Log in to My NCARB and click on your NCARB Record
- Go to “Exams”
- Click "Pay and schedule" to purchase an open seat
- From the list of ARE 5.0 divisions, select the “Schedule open seat” link for the division you would like to schedule
- Select the “Schedule” link for that division
- You will be taken to Prometric’s website, where you will select a testing location, date, and time from the list of available options
- The appointment will appear in your NCARB Record under the “Exams” tab
Please note: You must schedule an appointment at least three business days in advance of your desired testing date (Saturday and Sunday are not considered business days).
Each testing appointment includes time for various introductory screens, an optional 15-minute break, and a post-administration survey. Click on each division for more information.
|Division||Test Duration||Appointment Time|
|Practice Management||2 hr 45 min||3 hr 30 min|
|Project Management||3 hr 15 min||4 hr|
|Programming & Analysis||3 hr 15 min||4 hr|
|Project Planning & Design||4 hr 15 min||5 hr|
|Project Development & Documentation||4 hr 15 min||5 hr|
|Construction & Evaluation||3 hr 15 min||4 h|
You can reschedule an existing appointment up to four business days in advance. To reschedule an appointment, visit My Examination in your NCARB Record and select the scheduled exam you’d like to adjust.
Rescheduling an Appointment
Please note: Changes to scheduled appointments are subject to rescheduling fees. To learn more, visit our fees page or download the ARE 5.0 Guidelines. Testing fees are non-refundable. If you miss or cancel a scheduled exam, you will not be able to transfer the fee to a new appointment.
If your test center is unexpectedly closed during your appointment due to inclement weather or other unforeseeable circumstances, Prometric will contact you to reschedule your exam at no cost. You can view closed testing centers on Prometric’s website.