NCARB Certificate holders can expand their practice through our longstanding relationship with Canada. NCARB and the Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities (CALA) have a Mutual Recognition Agreement that enables architects to pursue reciprocal licensure between the two countries.

To be eligible under this agreement, you must:

  • Be a U.S. or Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • Be licensed and in good standing in a United States or Canadian jurisdiction
  • Hold an active NCARB Certificate
  • Maintain your principal place of practice in a signatory jurisdiction
  • Have at least 2,000 hours of post-licensure experience in your home country

Note: Architects who have been licensed in their home country by means of a broadly experienced foreign architect program or other foreign reciprocal licensing agreements are not eligible under this agreement.

Forty-one of the 55 U.S. jurisdictions and all 11 Canadian jurisdictions are currently signatories of the agreement.

Pursuing Licensure Through the Agreement
If you are interested in pursuing reciprocal licensure through the agreement and meet the above requirements, follow these simple steps to begin the process:

  1. Review the list of signatory jurisdictions to confirm that both your current jurisdiction (principal place of practice) and the jurisdiction you would like to be licensed in are participants.
  2. Contact the board where you would like to be licensed to ensure that you meet their specific jurisdiction requirements. You can find contact information for each Canadian provincial association through the Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities.
  3. Log in to your NCARB Record and select “Request Transmittal of your NCARB Record.”

For more information on the agreement and the requirements for NCARB certification, read the Certification Guidelines.