To take an ARE 5.0 division, you’ll need to schedule an appointment. The ARE is administered securely by Prometric to protect the exam’s content and ensure all candidates have a consistent experience.
Where can I take the exam?
Regardless of where you are seeking registration or received eligibilities, you have the flexibility to test online, at Prometric centers, or a combination of both options.
- In-person appointments: The ARE is offered at Prometric test centers throughout the U.S. and Canada, as well as several international locations.
- Online appointments: With online proctoring, candidates can test 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in most places around world—as long as your test environment meets certain physical and technical requirements.
NCARB will switch to a new test administration vendor, PSI, in early 2022. PSI offers both in-person and online exam appointments. More information about the migration will be available later in 2021.
How to Schedule an Appointment
You can schedule an appointment by following these steps:
- Log in to My NCARB and click on your NCARB Record
- Click on the “Exams” tab
- Click "Pay and schedule" to purchase an open seat
- Select “Schedule” next to the division you’d like to book
- Confirm your contact information and accept the ARE Candidate Agreement
- Choose whether you would like to schedule an online or in-person exam
- You will be taken to Prometric’s website, where you will select a testing location, date, and time from the list of available options
- The appointment will appear in your NCARB Record under the “Exams” tab
Please note: You must schedule an appointment at least three business days in advance of your desired testing date (Saturday and Sunday are not considered business days).
Each testing appointment includes time for various introductory/conclusion screens, a flexible break, and a post-administration survey. Click on each division for more information. Any purchased seat credits not used to schedule a division will expire on year after the date of purchase.
|Division||Test Duration||Appointment Time|
|Practice Management||2 hr 40 min||3 hr 20 min|
|Project Management||3 hr||3 hr 40 min|
|Programming & Analysis||3 hr||3 hr 40 min|
|Project Planning & Design||4 hr 5 min||5 hr|
|Project Development & Documentation||4 hr 5 min||5 hr|
|Construction & Evaluation||3 hr min||3 hr 40 min|
You can reschedule an existing appointment—or switch delivery methods—up to four business days in advance. To reschedule an appointment or switch delivery methods, visit My Examination in your NCARB Record and select the scheduled exam you’d like to adjust.
Rescheduling an Appointment
Changes to scheduled appointments are subject to rescheduling fees. To learn more, visit our fees page or download the ARE 5.0 Guidelines. Testing fees are non-refundable. If you miss or cancel a scheduled exam, you will not be able to transfer the fee to a new appointment.
If your test center is unexpectedly closed during your appointment due to inclement weather or other unforeseeable circumstances, Prometric will contact you to reschedule your exam at no cost. You can view closed testing centers on Prometric’s website.