NCARB Certificate holders can pursue work internationally through our Mutual Recognition Arrangement with the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA) and the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB). If you are an architect from Australia or New Zealand seeking reciprocal licensure in the United States, contact AACA or NZRAB before starting the process with NCARB.


To be eligible for reciprocal licensure under this arrangement, you must:

  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, Australia, or New Zealand
  • Be licensed and in good standing in a signatory jurisdiction in the United States, Australia, or New Zealand
  • Hold an active NCARB Certificate
  • Have at least 6,000 hours of post-licensure experience in your home country

Note: Architects who are licensed in their home country through another international reciprocal licensing agreement (or the previous Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect Program) are not eligible under this arrangement.

NCARB recently ratified several updates to the eligibility requirement for this MRA, which will go into effect late 2024 or early 2025. Learn more about the changes. 

Pursuing a License Through the Arrangement

After confirming you meet the arrangement’s requirements, follow these steps to begin the process:

  1. Review the list of signatory jurisdictions to confirm that both your current jurisdiction and the jurisdiction you would like to be licensed in are participants.
  2. Contact NCARB to initiate the transmittal process. NCARB will issue an evaluation statement to the host board, request a “Statement of Good Standing” from your U.S. jurisdiction, and send you a “Declaration of Professional Experience” to complete and return.

To learn more about this arrangement and the requirements for NCARB certification, read the Certification Guidelines.