Most architects are licensed to practice in more than one jurisdiction, which can provide job flexibility and security. This can be accomplished through reciprocity, an agreement among the 55 U.S. jurisdictions—and some countries—to recognize licenses issued by other boards.

NCARB was founded to facilitate reciprocity, and the easiest way to apply for a reciprocal license is through the NCARB Certificate. In some jurisdictions, architects with an NCARB Certificate can interview for work before earning a reciprocal license in that jurisdiction. Always check local regulations before pursuing work in a jurisdiction in which you are not licensed, and note that architects can only provide professional services in jurisdictions where they’re licensed.

While some jurisdictions offer ways to gain a reciprocal license without an NCARB Certificate, all 55 jurisdictions accept the Certificate—and 25 require it. To find out if your jurisdiction requires the Certificate for reciprocal licensure, visit the Licensing Requirements Tool.

To apply for licensure in another jurisdiction, you’ll want to:

  1. Log in to your NCARB Record through My NCARB.
  2. Navigate to the “Licenses” tab.
  3. Select the “New Transmittal Request” button.
  4. Follow the instructions on your screen. There is a transmittal fee.

Please note: Some jurisdictions refer to reciprocity as endorsement or comity.