As of April 25, 2023, U.S. architects can take advantage of a new mutual recognition agreement between NCARB and our U.K. counterpart, the Architects Registration Board (ARB), to earn reciprocal licensure in the United Kingdom. Here’s how to take advantage of this new opportunity to expand your practice.

Note: These instructions are for U.S. architects. U.K. architects seeking licensure in the United States should check with the ARB.


Get NCARB Certified

The NCARB Certificate can facilitate licensure in all 55 U.S. jurisdictions and internationally.

Step 1: Confirm Eligibility

To be eligible for reciprocity in the United Kingdom, U.S. architects must:

  • Hold a valid license in good standing from a U.S. jurisdiction that is participating in the agreement
  • Have an active NCARB Certificate granted through the standard path, which includes
    • Holding a degree from a National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) or the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)
    • Completing the Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®), its predecessor the Intern Development Program (IDP), or the previous equivalent at the time of your initial licensure
    • Passing the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®)
  • Have the right to work in the United Kingdom

Right to Work: To conduct business in the United Kingdom, you must be granted the right to work there. Neither NCARB nor ARB can provide you with the right to work. You must reach out to the U.K’s Home Office for permission to work in the United Kingdom, typically granted under a visa or other work immigration route.

Step 2: Contact NCARB

Once you confirm you’re eligible for licensure through the MRA, contact NCARB online or at 202-879-0520. Our Customer Relations team will review your NCARB Record, double-check that you meet the eligibility requirements, and transmit your Record to ARB for their review.

Step 3: Complete Application Process With ARB

After your NCARB Record has been shared with ARB, you will need to complete their application process. You should expect to submit a CV, complete a brief interview, and take an assessment. If you have questions while completing ARB’s application process, you should contact ARB for guidance. 

More About the Agreement

The U.S./U.K. agreement is based on similarities in architecture licensing standards established by NCARB and the requirements for registration in the United Kingdom and reflects similar arrangements with Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. To learn more about earning a license to practice architecture abroad, visit