I am interested in...

NCARB Certificate

Do I need an NCARB Certificate to apply for licensure in another jurisdiction?

While it’s possible to gain a reciprocal license without being certified, all 55 U.S. jurisdictions accept the NCARB Certificate and 24 jurisdictions require it. To find out if your desired jurisdiction requires the Certificate for reciprocal licensure, explore the  licensing requirements tool.

Do I need an active license to maintain my NCARB Certificate?

Yes—an active license is required to maintain your NCARB certification.

Can I use my NCARB Certificate to apply for licensure in other countries?

Certified architects can apply for reciprocal licenses in Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. NCARB can also send a letter on your behalf to foreign economies participating in the  Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation  (APEC) Architect Project. Learn more about  international practice.

Can I apply for certification through the foreign architect path if the country where I am credentialed does not have a regulatory body?

To be eligible for certification through the foreign architect path, you must be credentialed in a foreign country that has a system in place for disciplinary action. If this does not exist, you are not eligible for this path. You may still, however, apply for initial registration as a foreign-educated licensure candidate. Learn more about applying for licensure with a foreign education.

As a foreign architect applying through the foreign architect path to NCARB certification, does the AXP reporting requirement apply to me?

No. Registered certification applicants, foreign or domestic, are not limited by the reporting requirement. You may submit any previous experience pre- or post-licensure for fulfillment of AXP.  Learn more about the foreign architect path to certification.