U.S. architects can establish professional contacts, seek work, and perform services as licensed architects in Mexico through the Tri-National Mutual Recognition Agreement.

Developed by NCARB, the Regulatory Organizations of Architecture in Canada (ROAC) (formerly Canadian Architectural Licensing Authorities (CALA)), and La Federación de Colegios de Arquitectos de la República Mexicana (FCARM), this agreement removes barriers and establishes standards for the recognition of qualified architects from each country.

To be eligible for reciprocal licensure through the Tri-National Agreement as a U.S. architect, you must:

  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico
  • Be licensed and in good standing in a U.S., Canadian, or Mexican jurisdiction
  • Hold an active NCARB Certificate
  • Hold a degree in architecture from a program accredited by the NAAB or the equivalent
  • Have a minimum of 10 years of post-licensure experience in your home country

Review the eligibility requirements for Canadian or Mexican architects.

Eligible architects will need to submit a dossier of work documenting their knowledge and skills of specific competencies outlined in the agreement. Successful applicants will be interviewed by the reciprocal (host) country in the language of the host country.

Learn more about the process for reciprocal licensure through the Tri-National Agreement.