We update the exam as needed to ensure it aligns with current architectural practice. As of July 1, 2018, NCARB only offers ARE 5.0.
Here are some key differences between the two versions:
- Seven divisions
- Organized around content areas
- Includes graphic vignettes
- Question types: multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and check-all-that-apply
- Six divisions
- Organized around practice and the progression of a typical architecture project
- Includes case studies; no graphic vignettes
- Question types: multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, check-all-that-apply, hot spot, and drag-and-place
While organized and assessed differently, the material covered in each version of the exam remains the same.
Need help navigating ARE 5.0?
Check out the ARE 5.0 Community to get expert advice, share tips with fellow candidates, and learn more about key resources.