From March 9-10, members of the U.S. architectural licensing boards gathered in Wichita, Kansas, for the 2018 Regional Summit. Hosted by the Central States Conference (Region 5), the annual summit provides a forum for NCARB’s regions to explore topics related to architectural regulation.
Throughout the two-day event, members discussed regional business, heard from candidates running for NCARB office, and explored challenges facing state boards. Attendees also provided feedback on resolutions that will be voted on at the Annual Business Meeting in June. To close the summit, members participated in a question and answer session with NCARB President Gregory L. Erny, FAIA, NCARB, and CEO Michael J. Armstrong.
Nominating NCARB Leadership
Each region met individually to nominate regional directors and hear from candidates running for the FY19 NCARB Board of Directors. Officer and director elections will be held at the Annual Business Meeting in Detroit. The candidates are:
- First Vice President/President-elect: Terry L. Allers, AIA, NCARB (Fort Dodge, IA)
- Second Vice President: Robert M. Calvani, FAIA, NCARB (Albuquerque, NM)
- Treasurer: Alfred Vidaurri Jr., FAIA, NCARB, AICP (Fort Worth, TX)
- Secretary: Bayliss Ward, NCARB, AIA (Bozeman, MT)
- Member Board Executive Director: Maria Brown (Salem, OR)
- Public Member: Darryl R. Hamm (Harrisburg, PA)
- Region 1: Stephen D. Schreiber, FAIA, NCARB (Amherst, MA)
- Region 2: Paul D. Edmeades, AIA, NCARB (Bel Air, MD)
- Region 3: John E. Cardone Jr. (Lake Charles, LA)
- Region 4: Kenneth VanTine, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP (Brighton, MI)
- Region 5: Ricky Lee Engebretson, AIA, NCARB (Fargo, ND)
- Region 6: Jon Baker, FAIA, LEED AP (San Diego, CA)
Member Board Executive (MBE) Workshop
Prior to the Regional Summit, Member Board Executives from over 30 licensing boards met at their annual MBE Workshop. Attendees discussed the current regulatory landscape and had the opportunity to share case studies and best practices. In addition, the group nominated Maria Brown of the Oregon Board of Architect Examiners to serve a second term as the MBE director on the FY19 NCARB Board of Directors.