NCARB Certificate holders can pursue work internationally through our Mutual Recognition Arrangement with the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA) and the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB). If you are an architect from Australia or New Zealand seeking reciprocal licensure in the United States, contact AACA or NZRAB for more information before creating an NCARB Record.

To be eligible for reciprocal licensure under this arrangement, you must:

  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, Australia, or New Zealand
  • Be licensed and in good standing in a signatory jurisdiction in the United States, Australia, or New Zealand
  • Hold an active NCARB Certificate
  • Have at least 6,000 hours of post-licensure experience in your home country

Note: Architects who have been licensed in their home country by means of a foreign reciprocal licensing agreements are not eligible under this arrangement.

Thirty-one of the 55 U.S. jurisdictions, all eight Australian jurisdictions, and New Zealand are currently signatories of the arrangement.

Pursuing Licensure Through the Arrangement
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in pursuing reciprocal licensure through the arrangement, follow these simple steps to begin the process:

  • Review the list of signatory jurisdictions to confirm that both your current jurisdiction and the jurisdiction you would like to be licensed in are participants.
  • Contact us to request transmittal of your NCARB Record. NCARB will issue an evaluation statement to the host board, request a Statement of Good Standing from your U.S. jurisdiction, and send you a declaration of professional experience to complete and return.

For more information on this arrangement and the requirements for NCARB certification, read the Certification Guidelines.