After spending countless hours preparing for the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®), the last thing any candidate wants is to be denied access to the test center. Most candidates won’t experience any issues on the day of their exam—but just to be sure, here are five things to know about NCARB’s identification policy:
1. Review the ARE Guidelines for a list of accepted IDs.
2. Before scheduling your exam, ensure the first and last name in your NCARB Record matches the first and last name on the ID you’re bringing to the test center.
3. If the first and last name on your ID is different from your NCARB Record, you’ll need to send a written request and official documentation to NCARB’s Customer Relations team to correct your Record.
4. Make sure your ID won’t expire by the date of your appointment and is properly signed, if required.
5. Remember, name discrepancies must be resolved at least one week before your exam appointment. Once your name has been updated in your Record, it will take up to seven days to be updated in the test center system.
If you would like to update your name for any reason (such as getting married), contact Customer Relations by calling 202-879-0520 during normal business hours. For more tips, here’s a preview of what to expect at the test center.