I am interested in...

Architectural Experience Program (AXP)

How do I change a submitted AXP report to another supervisor?

To change the supervisor of a submitted report, login to your NCARB Record and select the submitted report you would like to edit. Click “change” next to supervisor, and either select the correct supervisor from the drop-down menu or input information for a new supervisor.

Does my jurisdiction require the AXP?

Most of the 55 U.S. licensing boards require the AXP. Keep in mind, your jurisdiction may have additional experience requirements, as each jurisdiction sets its own requirements for initial licensure. Find out if your board accepts the AXP through our  licensing requirements tool.

Does my foreign experience count toward fulfillment of the Architectural Experience Program (AXP)?

A maximum of 1,860 hours may be earned for work completed in a foreign country under the supervision of a licensed architect in that country.  Learn more about AXP requirements

Do I need an AXP mentor?

Having an experienced architect to offer instruction, encouragement, and advice can be extremely beneficial as you navigate the path to licensure. While your mentor won’t typically monitor your experience reports, there are  certain opportunities where they can act as an AXP supervisor.

Can I take the ARE while completing the Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®)?

Of the 55 jurisdictions, 50 licensing boards allow candidates to take the ARE while completing their experience—this is known as early eligibility. Find out if your board allows early eligibility through our  licensing requirements tool.

Can I earn experience while working abroad?

You can earn experience abroad—as long as you’re working for an organization engaged in the practice of architecture and under the direct supervision of an architect. Plus, the experience must meet the AXP’s rules and employment requirements. If your AXP supervisor only has a foreign license to practice architecture, you will have limits to the maximum amount of experience you can report working abroad.

Will I lose hours if my supervisor takes a long time to review reports?

You will not lose hours for delays in processing caused by your supervisor or if they return a report for edits.

Where can I find detailed information about completing the AXP?

The  AXP Guidelines  is essential reading for licensure candidates and their supervisors. The document includes steps to completing the program, reporting procedures, experience requirements, and more.

What is experience setting A?

Setting A covers the experience you gain while employed by an organization engaged in the lawful practice of architecture, working under an AXP supervisor who is licensed to practice architecture in the United States or Canada. To meet the AXP’s requirements, you’ll need to earn a minimum of 1,860 hours in experience setting A. There is no maximum number of hours you can earn in this setting.