Most architects are licensed to practice in more than one jurisdiction, which can provide job flexibility and security. This can be accomplished through reciprocity, an agreement among the 55 U.S. jurisdictions—and some countries—to recognize licenses issued by other boards.

The easiest way to apply for a reciprocal license is through the NCARB Certificate. In some jurisdictions, certified architects can bid for work before earning a reciprocal license. However, architects can only practice in jurisdictions where they’re licensed.

While it’s possible to gain a reciprocal license without being certified, all 55 jurisdictions accept the Certificate and 25 require it. To find out if your jurisdiction requires the Certificate for reciprocal licensure, visit the licensing requirements tool.

Please note: Some jurisdictions refer to reciprocity as endorsement or comity.