Hundreds of professionals recently tuned in to NCARB Live for a spirited debate about the state of women in architecture. Moderated by Architect Magazine Executive Editor Katie Gerfen, the panel explored everything from finding a mentor to handling sexism on construction sites. We then turned the reigns over to viewers for a brief Q&A session.
Here’s a snapshot of your questions:
- Are women in architecture typecast?
- What are your experiences with family life and work-life conflict?
- What’s the best way to get men involved to push for gender equality?
- Does the desire for family hold women back from becoming licensed?
- What advice do you have for young women entering the field?
This month, attendees heard from an all-star group of inspiring women: NCARB Second Vice President Margo Jones, NCARB, AIA, LEED AP; AIA Northern Virginia Young Architects Forum Co-Chair Anna Barbour, AIA, LEED AP BD+C; and 2013 AIA DC Emerging Architect recipient Diane Leeson, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP BD+C.