I am interested in...
Do I need an NCARB Certificate to apply for licensure in another jurisdiction?

While it’s possible to gain a reciprocal license without being certified, all 55 U.S. jurisdictions accept the NCARB Certificate and 24 jurisdictions require it. To find out if your desired jurisdiction requires the Certificate for reciprocal licensure, explore the  licensing requirements tool.

Do I need an AXP mentor?

Having an experienced architect to offer instruction, encouragement, and advice can be extremely beneficial as you navigate the path to licensure. While your mentor won’t typically monitor your experience reports, there are  certain opportunities where they can act as an AXP supervisor.

Do I need an active license to maintain my NCARB Certificate?

Yes—an active license is required to maintain your NCARB certification.

Can I use my NCARB Certificate to apply for licensure in other countries?

Certified architects can apply for reciprocal licenses in Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. NCARB can also send a letter on your behalf to foreign economies participating in the  Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation  (APEC) Architect Project. Learn more about  international practice.

Can I take the ARE while completing the Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®)?

Of the 55 jurisdictions, 50 licensing boards allow candidates to take the ARE while completing their experience—this is known as early eligibility. Find out if your board allows early eligibility through our  licensing requirements tool.

Can I review, challenge, or verify my results?

If you would like to review a failed exam, contact your board of architecture immediately. The process and fees involved will vary based on your board. Please note: Some boards do not allow reviews. If this is the case, you will not be able to review your failed division. To learn more about this process, download the ARE 5.0 Guidelines.

Can I reschedule an exam appointment?

You can reschedule an existing appointment up to four business days in advance by 12p.m. EST, although a  rescheduling fee may apply. Please note: Saturday and Sunday are not considered business days.

Can I earn experience while working abroad?

You can earn experience abroad—as long as you’re working for an organization engaged in the practice of architecture and under the direct supervision of an architect. Plus, the experience must meet the AXP’s rules and employment requirements. If your AXP supervisor only has a foreign license to practice architecture, you will have limits to the maximum amount of experience you can report working abroad.

Can I apply for certification through the foreign architect path if the country where I am credentialed does not have a regulatory body?

To be eligible for certification through the foreign architect path, you must be credentialed in a foreign country that has a system in place for disciplinary action. If this does not exist, you are not eligible for this path. You may still, however, apply for initial registration as a foreign-educated licensure candidate. Learn more about applying for licensure with a foreign education.

As a foreign architect, how do I know if I need an EESA evaluation?

If you meet the requirements for the  foreign architect path to certification,  you will not need an Education Evaluation Service for Architects (EESA) evaluation. If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to follow the steps for  foreign-educated applicants instead.