We update the exam as needed to ensure it aligns with current architectural practice. During this period of transition, NCARB offers the ARE in both 4.0 and 5.0.
Here are some key differences between the two versions:
- Seven divisions
- Organized around content areas
- Includes graphic vignettes
- Question types: multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and check-all-that-apply
- Six divisions
- Organized around practice and the progression of a typical architecture project
- Includes case studies; no graphic vignettes
- Question types: multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, check-all-that-apply, hot spot, and drag-and-place
While organized and assessed differently, the material covered in each version of the exam remains the same—as does the price per division ($210). Keep in mind, you will only be able to test in 4.0 if you requested your initial exam eligibilities before November 1, 2016. If you are new to the ARE, you will only be able to test in 5.0.
To learn more about taking the ARE, select a version of the exam.