During the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards' (NCARB) 2022 Annual Business Meeting in Austin, Texas, delegates representing 54 of the Council’s 55 Member Boards, which oversee the practice of architecture in their individual jurisdictions, voted on seven resolutions.
RESOLVED, that the Mutual Recognition Agreement between the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), representing the 55 architectural registration boards of the United States, and Architects Registration Board (ARB), representing the United Kingdom, be and hereby is ratified and approved as published in Appendix A in these resolutions.
FURTHER RESOLVED, that upon the approval of this change by a majority of the Council Member Boards, such change will become effective no earlier than 60 days after the agreement is signed by the ARB.
RESOLVED, that the definition for “Responsible Charge” in Section 103 Definitions of the NCARB Model Law and Regulations be revised as indicated below:
16) Responsible Charge – The control over and detailed professional knowledge of the development and execution of the project, including Technical Submissions, as is ordinarily exercised by an Architect applying the required professional standard of care.
Responsible Control – Responsibility for exercising the ultimate authority over, and possessing the knowledge and ability to oversee, delegate, and integrate the design and technical decisions related to the preparation of the project’s instruments of service and the project’s implementation in conformance with the standard of care.”
FURTHER RESOLVED, that all instances of “Responsible Charge” within the NCARB Model Law and Regulations be revised to “Responsible Control”; and
FURTHER RESOLVED, that following the approval of the resolutions by and absolute majority of the Council Member Boards, such resolutions will become effective July 1, 2022.
Resolution 2022-03: Omnibus Sunset of Resolutions in Conflict with Current Council Examination Policies
RESOLVED, that all policies and resolutions related to Council examinations that were enacted prior to the adoption of Resolution 1996-12 were, and hereby are, rescinded and otherwise deemed inactive. Without limiting the generality of this resolution, this resolution expressly rescinds the following resolutions:
- Resolution 1969-8 (Continuation of Studies Toward the Development of a New Examination)
- Resolution 1970-6 (Acceptance of Examination Grades Between Member Boards)
- Resolution 1971-4 (Eligibility Cut-Off Date for Council Oral Examination)
- Resolution 1971-6 (Phasing Out of Seven-Part Examination and Implementation of New Professional Examination)
- Resolution 1971-16 (Additional Registration and/or Certification Requirements)
- Resolution 1972-2 (NCARB Examinations)
- Resolution 1972-4 (Publication and Distribution of Examination Success Rates)
- Resolution 1972-5 (Implementation of New Examinations)
- Resolution 1975-6 (Publication of Examination Costs)
- Resolution 1975-16 (Prohibition of Examination Interpreters)
- Resolution 1975-20 (Administration of Parts I and II of the Equivalency Examination)
- Resolution 1976-5 (Evaluation of NCARB Examination)
- Resolution 1977-1 (Requirements for Graphics Examination)
- Resolution 1979-5 (Task Analysis and Validation Study)
- Resolution 1979-22 (Sequence of Sections A and B of Professional Examination)
- Resolution 1980-3 (Revision of Passing Procedure for Section B, Professional Examination)
- Resolution 1983-11 (Examination May Be Taken in Parts)
- Resolution 1983-12 (Allow Purchase of the ARE by Parts)
- Resolution 1984-14 (Security of NCARB Examinations)
- Resolution 1984-16 (Alternative Exam Methodologies to Multiple-Choice Exam Items)
- Resolution 1984-19 (Structural Examinations Format)
- Resolution 1985-8 (Recission of 1984 Resolution No. 20 Permitting the Use of Reference Material in the ARE)
- Resolution 1988-7 (Withholding Access to ARE from Member Board Not Administering Examination)
- Resolution 1989-12 (Study the Appropriateness of Terminating the Paper-and-Pencil ARE)
- Resolution 1989-15 (Elimination of Special Seismic Test)
- Resolution 1992-2 (NCARB Written Examination Required for Certification)
- Resolution 1992-5 (ARE in English Requirement for Certification)
- Resolution 1993-1 (Rescind Resolution No. 1 of the 1990 Annual Meeting)
- Resolution 1993-2 (Reporting Scores for the Computerized ARE)
- Resolution 1994-10 (Giving Credit for Pilot Administrations of ARE ’97)
- Resolution 1997-12 (Examination Fees)
- Resolution 1999-17 (Comprehensive Testing)
FURTHER RESOLVED, that upon the approval of the foregoing resolution by a majority of the Council Member Boards, such resolution will become effective immediately.
Note: The full text of the resolutions being sunset in Resolution 2022-03 are available in Appendix B.
RESOLVED, that the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards sunsets the following resolutions, the full texts of which are attached hereto as Appendix C:
- Resolution 2000-12: Support the Work of the Collateral Internship Task Force Regarding IDP, Mentorship, and Education
- Resolution 1998-17: International Building Code 2000
- Resolution 1987-1: Continuation of an Education Evaluation Process
- Resolution 1986-11: Lateral Forces Home Study Program
- Resolution 1980-1: List of Licensees
- Resolution 1980-15: Support for IDP
FURTHER RESOLVED, that following the approval of the foregoing resolution by an absolute majority of the Council Member Boards, such resolution will become effective July 1, 2022.
RESOLVED, that Article XII, Section 8 in the NCARB Bylaws be revised to insert the following language as new subsection I of Article XII, Section 8:
“I. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee: The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee explores and recommends strategies to improve the diversity, equity, and inclusive culture of NCARB to ensure that the organization represents the population it serves.”
FURTHERED RESOLVED, that subsections following the insertion in Article XII, Section 8 be re-lettered; and
FURTHERED RESOLVED, that following the approval of the resolutions by a two-thirds majority of the Council Member Boards, such resolutions will become effective July 1, 2022.
RESOLVED, that the amended Articles and Sections of the NCARB Bylaws are adopted in the form attached hereto as Appendix D.
FURTHER RESOLVED, that following the approval of the resolution by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of the Council Member Boards, such resolution will become effective July 1, 2022.
Resolution 2022-07: Amendment and Restatement of the Requirements for Certification in the NCARB Certification Guidelines
RESOLVED, that the Requirements for Certification in the NCARB Certification Guidelines are hereby amended and restated in the form attached hereto in Appendix E; and
FURTHER RESOLVED, that upon the approval of the resolution by an absolute majority of the Council Member Boards, such resolution will become effective July 1, 2022.