By Customer Relations Specialists Jennifer Moore and Valaria Alston.

As NCARB Customer Relations specialists, we receive questions about every stage of licensure—from submitting Architectural Experience Program (AXP) hours to getting started with the Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®). To help clarify any misconceptions, here are the answers to your most frequently asked questions.

1. Can we send reminders to AXP supervisors regarding pending experience reports?

Candidates cannot manually send reminders; however, the system will automatically send a reminder every 30 days for up to 90 days. After that period, you can call or email NCARB customer service and have the report reset to “saved” status. This will allow you to re-submit the report and generate a new email notification to your supervisor.

Tip: Before resetting your report to “saved,” ask your supervisor to check his/her spam folder. You should also verify your supervisor’s current email address to ensure it matches what is noted on the report.

2. Why can’t I log in to the ARE practice program?

You can access the ARE practice program by logging in to My NCARB. You'll then select the service from the "ARE Practice Programs Access" page. You will have to log in to your active Record each time.

3. Can I start testing in ARE 4.0 after ARE 5.0 has launched?

Yes—you can start (or continue) testing in ARE 4.0 if you have eligibilities to test in 4.0 before 5.0 launches on November 1, 2016. If you have not started testing in 4.0 and wish to do so, please submit your official eligibility request by October 31, 2016.

Tip: Remember, your rolling clock still applies, so make a plan to finish the exam!

4. What are the new requirements for BEA and BEFA?

On July 1, 2016, a new alternative to certification replaced the Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect (BEFA) Program. To be eligible for this alternative path, foreign architects must meet the following requirements:

  • NCARB Record: Applicants are required to establish a Record before NCARB confirms eligibility for this path.
  • Education: You must have a recognized education credential in an architecture program that leads to registration/credential in a foreign country.
  • Registration: You must be credentialed in a foreign country that has a formal record-keeping mechanism for disciplinary actions in the practice of architecture.
  • Experience: You must document completion of the AXP.
  • Examination: You must pass the ARE.

If you have questions about this alternative, please contact Assistant Director, Experience + Education Michelle Dixson at or 202-461-3946.

Effective July 1, 2016, NCARB is no longer accepting applications for certification through the Broadly Experienced Architect (BEA) Program. A new certification path for architects without a NAAB-accredited degree will launch in 2017. If you have questions about this new path, please contact

5. How do I change my submitted AXP report to another supervisor?

You can call or email NCARB customer service and have the report reset to “saved” status. You can then log in to your Record, open the experience report, and select “view/details” to update the supervisor’s email. After selecting “submit,” the report will be sent to the new supervisor.

Tip: When contacting customer service, please be sure to provide the report number or reporting period.

6. Do I need to keep my Record active after I complete the AXP?

We recommend that you keep your Record active throughout your career. An active Record is necessary to take the ARE, for NCARB certification, and the transmittal of your Record for initial licensure and reciprocity.

Tip: If your Record remains continuously active until you receive your initial license, NCARB will waive the Certificate application fee of $1,100 for the first year! In addition, your Certificate renewal fee will be half price for your second year.

7. Have you received my transcript?

To determine if NCARB has received your official transcript, you can log in to your Record, select the education tab, find your school’s name, and look at the heading "verified" to see the date your transcript was reviewed. You can also contact customer service with your Record number, and we will provide information on your transcript receipt status.

8. I just completed my exam. What do I need to get my Record transmitted to my state?

Upon completion of the AXP and ARE, your Record will be evaluated by NCARB and automatically transmitted to your state. You should receive an email notification upon completion of the evaluation and when the Record is transmitted.

9. My ARE status is “inactive.” What do I need to do start scheduling exams?

Since there are many variables related your testing eligibility, we recommend that you contact customer service by phone or email. We will review your Record and provide next steps.

10. How do I report community service for AXP credit?

With the June 29 launch of the AXP, you can no longer submit community service hours. If you previously reported community service and the hours are approved, those hours are now included under Practice Management in your experience summary report. Any additional hours outside the required amount will satisfy any additional jurisdiction experience requirements you may have.

If you have additional questions, you can always contact NCARB’s Customer Relations team.