If you’ve already earned a degree from a program not accredited by the NAAB, you can still pursue an architecture license—and an NCARB Certificate—through these options.

Additional Experience for Licensure

A number of U.S. jurisdictions allow candidates with a degree from a non-accredited architecture program or unrelated field to obtain their architecture license by documenting additional experience. The amount of additional experience depends on the individual licensing board and your education background. Explore the requirements for specific jurisdictions through our Licensing Requirements Tool.

Additional Experience for Certification

If you are already licensed to practice architecture in a U.S. jurisdiction but do not hold a degree from a NAAB-accredited program, you can seek NCARB certification through the Education Alternative.

If you’re not sure whether or not your degree is from a NAAB-accredited program, check the NAAB’s list of programs.

Keep in mind: Not all jurisdictions accept candidates without a degree from a NAAB-accredited program. Applicants who pursue licensure or certification by documenting additional experience will still be limited in terms of where they can become licensed. [JF1]

Additional Education

You can also choose to satisfy your jurisdiction’s education requirement by supplementing your existing education. You can do this in one of two ways:

  • Return for an advanced degree from a NAAB-accredited program (i.e., pursuing a Master of Architecture degree).
  • Acquire an EESA evaluation, which compares your academic transcript to the NCARB Education Standard to determine if you need additional coursework. You would then complete additional courses to satisfy any deficiencies in your education, at which point the NAAB would be able to determine that your education is equivalent to a degree from a NAAB-accredited program.

You can learn more about education alternatives and the NCARB Education Standard in the Education Guidelines.