I am interested in...


Who should I contact to start the registration process with a foreign country?

If you would like to pursue licensure through one of our mutual recognition arrangements, review the signatory jurisdictions to ensure your jurisdiction is a participant. If you would like to earn a reciprocal license in Canada, Australia, Mexico, or New Zealand, please  contact our Customer Relations team once you have met the requirements for eligibility.

Where can I take the ARE?

Regardless of where you are seeking registration or received eligibility from, you can take the ARE at most Prometric test centers, as well as online from any location that meets online proctoring requirements

I’m a licensed architect from a foreign country. How can I pursue licensure in a U.S. jurisdiction?

If you are actively registered to practice architecture in a country outside of the United States, you can pursue licensure through our  foreign architect path to certification. Once you hold an  NCARB Certificate, you can use that credential to establish your license in a specific U.S. jurisdiction. Note: not all U.S. jurisdictions accept the Certificate for initial licensure.

Is NCARB pursuing reciprocal licensure with any other countries?

We are always seeking new opportunities for our Certificate holders by  facilitating arrangements between foreign licensing authorities with a similar path to becoming an architect. Learn more about  licensing requirements around the world.

How much does the foreign architect path to certification cost?

The foreign architect path has a maximum fee of $1,100, depending on the cost of your initial NCARB Record application—this is the same as the cost of a standard Certificate application. (This does not include the cost of completing the exam, which costs $235 per division.) The application fee will not be applied to your account until after your required credentials are approved, and you will have one year to pay the fee. Learn more about the fees associated with establishing and  maintaining an NCARB Certificate.

How do I start the foreign architect path to certification?

To begin the licensure process in the United States as foreign architect, you’ll need the appropriate credentials and transcripts. Before applying, review the requirements and confirm that the U.S. jurisdiction you want to be licensed in accepts this path by checking the Licensing Requirements Tool. Then you’ll need to: 1) Establish an NCARB Record, if you do not already have one. 2) Complete the Transcript Request Form and the Credential Verification Form and have your completed forms and transcript(s) sent directly to NCARB. After NCARB receives and reviews the required documents (Credential Verification Form and Transcripts), you will be notified concerning your eligibility for this path.

Can I use my NCARB Certificate to apply for licensure in other countries?

Certified architects can apply for reciprocal licenses in Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. NCARB can also send a letter on your behalf to foreign economies participating in the  Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation  (APEC) Architect Project. Learn more about  international practice.

Can I apply for certification through the foreign architect path if the country where I am credentialed does not have a regulatory body?

To be eligible for certification through the foreign architect path, you must be credentialed in a foreign country that has a system in place for disciplinary action. If this does not exist, you are not eligible for this path. You may still, however, apply for initial registration as a foreign-educated licensure candidate. Learn more about applying for licensure with a foreign education.

As a foreign architect, how do I know if I need an EESA evaluation?

If you meet the requirements for the  foreign architect path to certification,  you will not need an Education Evaluation Service for Architects (EESA) evaluation. If you do not meet these requirements, you may be able to follow the steps for  foreign-educated applicants instead.

What countries does NCARB have mutual recognition arrangements with?

NCARB currently has agreements to facilitate reciprocal licensure with Australia, Canada, Mexico, and New Zealand. Learn more about our mutual recognition arrangements.