I am interested in...
What is experience setting A?

Setting A covers the experience you gain while employed by an organization engaged in the lawful practice of architecture, working under an AXP supervisor who is licensed to practice architecture in the United States or Canada. To meet the AXP’s requirements, you’ll need to earn a minimum of 1,860 hours in experience setting A. There is no maximum number of hours you can earn in this setting.

What is a NAAB-accredited program?

The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) evaluates and accredits architecture programs in the United States. A NAAB-accredited program offers a professional degree in architecture that meets the education requirement for licensure in all 55 U.S. jurisdictions.

What countries does NCARB have mutual recognition arrangements with?

NCARB currently has agreements to facilitate reciprocal licensure with Australia, Canada, Mexico, and New Zealand. Learn more about our mutual recognition arrangements.

What are continuing education hours (CEH)?

One continuing education hour (CEH) equals one hour in an education program—such as  NCARB’s Continuum Education courses. The AIA refers to CEHs as learning units (LUs). Continuing education hours are required by most jurisdictions to renew your license.

Should U.S. architects seeking registration in Canada use the Tri-National Agreement?

No. U.S. architects seeking registration in Canada should use the streamlined  Canadian Mutual Recognition Arrangement.

Please note: To take advantage of the MRA between the United States and Canada, your principal place of practice must be a  signatory jurisdiction. If your principal place of practice is not a signatory jurisdiction, you may use the Tri-National Agreement.

How long do I have to pass a Continuum Education quiz?

After you download your Continuum Education course, you’ll have two years and two opportunities to finish the quiz. If you would like to re-take the quiz for a third time, please contact our Customer Relations team at 202-879-0520. Subsequent retakes cost $25 each.

While quiz availability may change over time, courses approved for AIA learning units are generally available for three years after initial publication. Availability may be extended for select courses. It is our goal to provide two months’ advance notice before retiring any monographs.

How do I know if my degree is from an architecture program that is NAAB-accredited?

You can browse all current NAAB-accredited programs through the  NAAB’s school search tool.

How do I become an architect licensing advisor?

Interested in helping guide the next generation of architects? Contact  advisors@ncarb.org to learn more.

How do I add my education to my NCARB Record?

To add education to your NCARB Record, select “Education” and then “Add University.”

In order to fulfill your jurisdiction’s education requirement, NCARB must verify your education history. You will need to request that your school send an official transcript directly to NCARB using either your school’s electronic transcript request system (use transcripts@ncarb.org as the recipient email address) or our  transcript request form.

Note: if you use your school’s transcript request system, be sure to include your NCARB Record number in the notes section.

How can I volunteer for an NCARB committee?

The best way to get involved with an NCARB initiative is to  contact your jurisdiction’s licensing board. And be sure to opt-in to NCARB emails, so you’re the first to hear about new volunteer opportunities.