What is NCARB?

NCARB is a nonprofit organization that is comprised of and collaborates with the architectural licensing boards of the 55 U.S. states and territories. We develop and administer the national programs for licensure candidates and architects that individual boards use to regulate architecture within their jurisdiction.

What is NCARB doing to improve diversity within the organization?

NCARB is working with local AIA and NOMA chapters to encourage people of color to serve on state licensing boards, as well as on our various committees (which allow for greater networking with the licensing board community). Explore current open positions on licensing boards.

What is my role as an AXP supervisor?

AXP supervisors manage their candidates on a daily basis and are ultimately responsible for their work. You should provide work assignments that give your employee the opportunity to complete the AXP and provide feedback to guide their professional development. You will also review, verify, and approve your employee’s experience reports. Learn more about your role.

What is IPAL?

The Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL) is an option within a NAAB-accredited program that gives students the opportunity to complete the requirements for licensure while earning a degree. Learn more about IPAL.

What is health, safety, and welfare (HSW) when it comes to continuing education?

Many U.S. licensing boards, as well as the AIA, require architects to earn continuing education hours (CEH) in topic areas of Health, Safety, and Welfare (HSW) every year. Most NCARB CE courses meet HSW requirements. Find out if your board requires CEH in HSW through our Licensing Requirements Tool.

What is experience setting O?

Setting O includes experience opportunities that can be performed outside an architecture firm. Some of these opportunities allow you to gain AXP experience while unemployed or working in a non-architecture field. There is no minimum number of hours required for opportunities in this setting, although each has a maximum limit.

What is an EESA evaluation? Do I need one?

Administered by the NAAB, the Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA) compares your academic transcript to the NCARB Education Standard and determines whether your education meets the requirement for licensure or NCARB certification. You may need an EESA evaluation if you do not hold a degree from a NAAB-accredited program. Learn more about EESA evaluations.

What is an academic internship?

Any work experience that is integrated into your academic program, whether as a requirement or an elective, is considered an academic internship. You can report work experience earned in academic internships as long as it meets the AXP’s rules, including the employment requirements.

What is a duration requirement?

Some jurisdictions have a minimum employment duration requirement for initial licensure. For example, if your jurisdiction has a three-year duration requirement, you’ll need to document three years of qualifying experience, with experience reported through the AXP counting toward this requirement. Find out if your board has a duration requirement through our Licensing Requirements tool.

What happens if someone enters my testing area during an online proctored exam?

Candidates are expected to maintain a private testing area throughout the entire exam appointment. If the privacy of the testing area is broken, the online proctor will pause delivery of the ARE and address the privacy issue with the candidate. Failing to maintain a private testing area may cause the administration to be terminated by the online proctor, and the candidate's attempt would be scored based on the items completed.