I am interested in...
What tools are available during the exam?

Prometric will provide you with pencils and scratch paper in the testing room. While testing, you will also have on-screen access to resources such as a calculator, necessary formulas, and appropriate structural tables. Learn more about ARE 5.0 reference materials in the Handbook.

What should I do if the experience report my candidate submitted isn’t accurate?

If you do not agree with all the information your candidate has documented, you should return their report for edits. Be sure to review the necessary changes with your candidate and provide feedback that will help them in the future. Once your candidate has made the changes you discussed, they can return the report to you for approval. Learn more about  reviewing experience reports.

What should I do if I experience technical difficulties while testing?

While uncommon, technical difficulties can occur. If you see an error message or experience a computer problem while taking your exam, please let the test center staff or online proctor know immediately. Do not clear the error message. Simply raise your hand or use the ProProctor chat tool, and your test center administrator (TCA) or proctor will assist you. In the event that the technical difficulties cannot be resolved quickly, your exam will be rescheduled at no cost.

What should I do if I encounter problems during my ARE test run appointment?

If you run into technical trouble during your test run, work with Prometric’s technical support using the chat tool on Prometric’s ehelp site for further assistance resolving the issue. If you find that your computer setup or testing space do not meet the requirements, discuss potential changes with your proctor and refer to NCARB’s Online Proctoring Requirements document for more information. If necessary, reschedule your appointment for a later date to give yourself time to resolve any issues.

What is the smallest denomination of hours I can enter in the online reporting system?

The smallest increment of time the system will accept is .25 hours, or 15 minutes.

What is the reporting requirement?

All AXP experience must be reported within a specific period of time, known as the  reporting requirement. To earn full credit for your work, you must submit experience within eight months. Specifically, you will submit experience in reporting periods of no longer than six months and within two months of completing each reporting period. Experience reported beyond this eight-month period—and as far as five years back—is still eligible to receive 50 percent credit toward the AXP.

What is the NCARB Certificate?

Available to architects, the NCARB Certificate is a professional credential that facilitates licensure across borders, provides access to free continuing education, and more. Explore the benefits of NCARB certification.

What is the Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL)?

The Integrated Path to Architectural Licensure (IPAL) is an option within a NAAB-accredited program that gives students the opportunity to complete the requirements for licensure while earning a degree.  Learn more about IPAL.

What is the duration requirement?

Some jurisdictions have a minimum employment duration requirement for initial licensure. For example, if your jurisdiction has a three-year duration requirement, you’ll need to document three years of qualifying experience, with the AXP counting toward this requirement. Find out if your board has a duration requirement through our  Licensing Requirements tool.

What is the difference between applying for licensure as a foreign-educated applicant and applying for certification through the foreign architect path?

As a  foreign-educated applicant, you will likely need to have your education evaluated by the NAAB (note: the NAAB charges a fee for this process) if required by the architectural registration board in the jurisdiction where you seek licensure. If the EESA identifies any deficiencies in your education, you may need to complete additional coursework. You will also need to complete the AXP and the ARE. Once you complete these requirements, you can be licensed in a U.S. jurisdiction that accepts foreign-educated applicants.

As a  foreign architect applying for NCARB certification, you will likely not need an EESA evaluation, and you can complete the AXP without meeting the five-year reporting requirement for AXP experience. You will still need to pass the ARE. Once you are certified, you can use your NCARB Certificate to apply for licensure in a jurisdiction that accepts the foreign architect path. Details about these requirements can be found in the Certification Guidelines.