The National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) is a nonprofit organization made up of the architectural licensing boards of 55 U.S. states and territories.
NCARB, in collaboration with licensing boards, facilitates the licensure and credentialing of architects to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the public.
While each jurisdiction is responsible for regulating the practice of architecture within its borders, NCARB works with licensing boards and volunteers to develop and facilitate standards for licensure, including the national examination and experience program. NCARB also recommends regulatory guidelines for licensing boards and helps architects expand their professional reach through the NCARB Certificate.
Our Core Programs
NCARB serves customers throughout all stages of their architecture careers, from students to practicing architects. Our core programs for architecture professionals include:
- The NCARB Education Standard
- The Architectural Experience Program® (AXP®)
- The Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®)
- The NCARB Certificate
Our Strategic Goals
NCARB’s Strategic Plan outlines three strategic goals, which are associated with six strategic objectives.
- Facilitate Licensure: NCARB's programs and services enable the pursuit, achievement, and ongoing maintenance and mobility of architectural licensure
- Foster Collaboration: NCARB’s proactive engagement with licensing boards and industry organizations advances the understanding and effectiveness of architectural regulation
- Maximize Value: NCARB's programs and services further the progress of our licensing boards and customers
NCARB’s organizational culture revolves around the single organizing idea of “Let’s Go Further.” We believe in being:
- Open: By being transparent and sharing our expertise, approaches, and knowledge, we help create dynamic partnerships that achieve more.
- Responsive: Our dedication and determination to be straightforward and deliver outstanding service experiences give our customers confidence and drive satisfaction levels upward.
- Restless: By being proactively curious about new possibilities and the world around us, we advance our knowledge, simplify our processes, and refine our thinking for the benefit of all.